Saturday 16 February 2013

Birthday Wishes














 


Dexter was two on Wednesday. He celebrated by not being woken up at six o'clock in the morning as my mum is here for the week, doing her 'keeping Team Wayne afloat' bit in the run-up to half term. In fact, I didn't see the birthday boy until early evening, and we waited for Daddy to get home from work (even later), before the present-opening began.

As was the case for Dexter's first birthday, family and friends had been extraordinarily generous, and the boy received a veritable bounty of perfect toddler cards and gifts.

I was asked numerous times on the day, and in the days since, how we were planning on 'celebrating' the little man's anniversary of his time on earth. My responses have generally been of the flippant, 'hilarious', throw-away nature alluding to the fact that I intend to wait until Dexter actually cares - that is, when he's, erm, about twelve... Okay, perhaps not quite twelve, but as a busy working mummy, I have neither the time nor inclination to throw a massive party. Despite a lack of inclination, I do feel woefully inadequate when I read the blogs of women like Kate. This blog is my current favourite thing ever, but I cannot ever dream of having the talent, skill and general parenting prowess to create such loveliness and special memories for my own child.

I am slightly in awe of the parent blogging community; it scares me slightly too. Whilst I desperately want to create a life that people like me sniff at enviously through cyber space, I just don't think I have it in me. A 'Blue Peter' girl through and through (my mum threw away everything I made), a B grade student in GCSE Art, and owner of an enviable collection of back copies of 'Living etc', I just don't cut it in the world of Kirstie Allsopp crafting heaven. As my lovely (and very creative) friend Hannah knows, the very use of the word 'crafting' as a verb makes me want to throw up onto a pile of washi tape.

I have however, signed up to Emily's 'Photography for Bloggers' September workshop. I've genuinely fallen in love with the concept of blogging as a virtual diary and creative outlet. I've always loved to write, so I figured I'd try to improve the quality of the images I use for 'Five on the Door', particularly to capture special moments for Dexter. I've also got Emily's blog to thank for the children's book ideas which I put on Dexter's birthday wish-list.

For now, the above snaps of the boy opening his gifts in our living room will have to do. Who knows, maybe the blog post for his third birthday will feature a home-made galleon ship, complete with rainbow sponge parrots and a to-scale faux desert island. Maybe.

4 comments:

  1. I love the selection of books you've chosen and it's so lovely that you found inspiration for them from my blog. That makes me very happy indeed!

    I'm also so pleased you've signed up for my photography workshop. I think you will really enjoy it and it will give you a way of being creative and adding creativity to your blog without any need for crafting at all! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Emily! Your beautiful blog is really inspiring. I went through all of your children's book recommendations and wrote a big list for my mum. She made a great start with the five she chose for Dexter's birthday, and she says she's going to keep hold of the list and work her way through it.

    Am really looking forward to your workshop - without wishing the year away of course. Hopefully by September, the blog will be more established and I'll have found my niche a little more. In the meantime, I'll keep snapping and hope that some pictures come out vaguely in focus...

    Hope you are feeling well and happy: not long to go now!

    Best wishes

    Katy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. His smile is so cute! Priceless!
    My warmest birthday greetings to the boy who has the sweetest smile!
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky boy, i wish your son a happy Birthday . Thanks for sharing your boy's special day.

    More power to your blog!

    ReplyDelete